Any type of sensitivity can be distressing, but when your skin is feeling a little sensitive, it can be hard to deal with. From burning, red spots, breakouts, dry patches, or itching, sensitive skin can be distressing in its worst case, and it can be annoying at best. During the worst times, you may find it hard to use any makeup products, because your skin is simply too painful or irritated, or you may find it difficult to pinpoint the products which suit your skin best, out of a huge range which state they are made with sensitive skin in mind.
Finding the best makeup for sensitive skin is important, because this means you will be using a product which contains ingredients which aren’t going to further irritate you, and that will help to soothe, and even hide any problems which are occurring. Ingredients should be totally natural wherever possible, and dermatologically tested and approved.
First things first however, what is sensitive skin? And, what causes it?
The Sensitive Matter of Sensitive Skin
Sensitive skin can be caused by a huge range of different issues, some of which you might not even consider to be an issue. Some of these causes include:
- Products containing an ingredient which you are particular allergic or sensitive to – this will cause a temporary reaction which should fade and go away, provided you don’t use the product again. A common cause is a makeup product, e.g. foundation, or even a wash powder change
- A skin issue or disorder, e.g. eczema, acne rosacea, or even allergic dermatitis
- Very dry skin – whilst dry skin in itself is a skin condition, when the condition is severe, the nerve endings are no longer protected, and irritation occurs
- Environmental issues, such as sunburn, extremely cold or hot weather, or strong wind
- Genetics – If you have a genetic tendency towards sensitive skin, this increases your chances of suffering from the condition too
Sensitive skin can simply be that you use a product and your skin feels tight, uncomfortable, or itchy, without any visible signs of irritation, or it can be characterized by several visible signs, such as dry patches, pustules, bumps, redness, or itching.
It is always best to avoid any products which contain fragrance or non-natural ingredients if you do suffer from a sensitive skin condition. Any products which contain ingredients such as alcohol, antibacterial ingredients, retinoids, or alpha-hydroxy acids should be avoided, as these are commonly known to irritate skin which is already feeling a little sensitive. It’s also very important to make sure that you regularly clean your makeup sponges and brushes, and to replace makeup regularly, to avoid bacteria from growing and harboring within. Any new products should also be patch tested before applying them to your entire face – patch test behind your ear on a small amount of skin, and leave the product overnight, or for a few hours, to see if you have a reaction.
Choosing The Best Makeup Products For Sensitive Skin
Finding the best makeup for sensitive skin may take a few attempts, but if you shop around and heed advice, this should make the process easier for you. There are countless products on the market, and it’s always best to look for products which have natural ingredients within them.
Foundation-wise, Covergirl Clean Sensitive Skin Liquid Makeup is a popular option, and is available in ten different colour shades, meaning there is a shade for every skin type. This foundation has been dermatologist tested and is fragrance and oil-free, as well as being hypoallergenic. This is a budget option, but another good quality choice which won’t break the bank is Mineral Liquid Powder Foundation SPF 15 . This product has earnt rave reviews amongst users who suffer from sensitivities, and again, there are a large number of shades available, with 13 on offer. The price is a tiny bit higher than the most basic product available, but the quality speaks for itself. The fact that the foundation is mineral based also means that it isn’t too heavy on the skin, and won’t clog pores makes it the best makeup for allergic skin.
- 100% Fragrance-Free and Oil-Free
- Safe for Sensitive Skin
- This innovative liquid formula, fortified with our exclusive Multi-Mineral Complex, glides on velvety smooth and sets to a soft-powder finish.
- A self setting foundation and powder in one is infused with powerful antioxidants and minerals that protect and hydrate skin.
- Micro-diffusers keep skin looking flawless, particularly skin with large pores and an oily T-zone.
Maybelline New York Dream Liquid Mousse Foundation is a popular choice, and another budget option too. With 12 colors available, this foundation is designed to give total coverage, without being too heavy, and lasts for up to 16 hours. The ingredients are natural and ideal for those with sensitive skin types. For a primer product, to give you an even base to begin your makeup application, try Eveline Silicone Base Face Primer . This product is ideal for dry and sensitive skin types, and the silicon ingredients are designed to soothe, rather than irritate skin.
- Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid Foundation, formerly Maybelline Dream Liquid Mousse Foundation, has a new look - with the same beautiful results
- Achieve the look of completely poreless skin with a smooth airbrushed finish. Lightweight and breathable medium coverage foundation
- This liquid foundation with hyaluronic acid delivers cake-free, buildable coverage that moisturizes all day
Of course, making sure you take your makeup off properly is vital, and there are countless makeup remover products on the market which are designed for skin types such as this. Simple are renowned for their natural makeup range, and their Simple Kind to Skin Facial Wipes are ideal both in quality, and in price. If you prefer a liquid makeup remover, rather than a wipe, try The Best Natural Eye & Face Makeup Remover by All Natural . As the name would suggest, all ingredients are totally natural, and very gentle to sensitive skin.
- Use Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes for 100% clean skin, anytime and anywhere
- Removes impurities and tough makeup, including water-proof mascara without any need to rinse your face afterwards
- They are enriched with Pro-Vitamin B5, which is known to help restore, soften and smooth skin
- ALL NATURAL EYE MAKEUP REMOVER: Gently removes eye & face makeup, eye shadows, mascara and eye liner with eyes and skin looking fresh and young. Non-rinse cleanser & Fragrance-free.
- RICH VITAMINS: Vitamins and natural ingredients provides for anti-aging benefits, improves elasticity and fight wrinkles.
- SAFE PRODUCT: All Natural means no adverse reaction to skin and gentle enough for use around the eyes. Free of Parabens, Paraffin Oil, Silicone, & Mineral Oil.
A large part of dealing with and looking after sensitive skin is about cleansing, so always make sure that you remove your makeup thoroughly every single day, wash your brushes and sponges, and replace your products regularly. When you are experiencing a flare up, it may be best to avoid wearing makeup altogether, but in the general run of things, these products are designed to be gentle enough to your skin, to avoid any further irritation. If your sensitive skin condition is severe, always check with your doctor in terms of whether there is an ongoing issue that can be treated medically too – sometimes there is an underlying condition that can be easily sorted out, but we don’t see it ourselves!