There are many skin conditions around these days; you could argue it is all down to environmental factors, such as pollution, smoking etc, but whatever the cause, many of them are annoying, and sometimes distressing. From oily skin to flaky skin, combination to acne-prone skin, we have to put up with so much when we’re trying to grab the most flattering look, but perhaps one of the most difficult to treat, is dry skin.
If you are a dry skin sufferer then you will know without any prompting that the constant need to hydrate your skin is a mission. You need to be careful not to over-hydrate and tip your skin towards oily, but at the same time, you want your makeup to glide onto your skin too, without flaking and clumping. It’s a nightmare to say the least, but thankfully there are many ways to conquer the issue, and give you a pleasing, and easy to manage appearance.
There are many products on the market which are aimed completely at this condition, which should tell you a lot about how prominent this is. Air conditioning, heating, the aforementioned pollution problem, as well as genetics, these are all causes for dry skin. In order to find the best makeup for dry skin, you need to do some delving, because the market is flooded with such products. Thankfully reviews are around to give you honest opinions. Before we look into these products however, let’s really find out a bit more about this rather annoying condition that so many of us suffer from.
What is Dry Skin?
The clue is really in the title, because dry skin is literally skin which is rather thirsty! The condition is noticed by either cracking, itching, or scaling of the skin’s surface, and you may even notice flaking too. There are many causes for dry skin, and even if you don’t suffer from dry skin all of the time, that’s not to say that occasionally you might not notice a patch, or even an extensive amount, of dry skin.
You can get dry skin anywhere on your body, but perhaps the most annoying and certainly the most noticeable part, is of course the face. Most of the time, these breakouts are easily managed with a moisturizing cream, but sometimes a trip to see your healthcare professional might be required, if the condition is ongoing and isn’t helped by creams and potions you can purchase over the counter.
There are a few lifestyle changes you can work with in order to try and reduce your dry skin, such as:
- Making sure your shower or bath water is temperate, e.g. not too hot and not too cold
- Cutting down on the amount of showers you’re having – too many and you could be drying your skin out
- Using a moisturizer every day, and applying after your shower or bath
- Drying yourself with a towel by patting, rather than rubbing
- Making sure that you drink enough water every day
- Avoiding smoking
- Always wearing sun-cream
- Considering using a humidifier around your house, to add moisture to the air
The Best Makeup for Dry Skin Products
If you simply can’t completely shake your dry skin, it may be that you simply need to learn to manage the condition, and the best way to do that is by finding the best makeup to give you even coverage, which doesn’t stick or clump to the dry skin patches on your face. These need not break the bank, as there are several which are budget, as well as a few that could be considered luxury, and therefore higher up the price scale. For instance, Revlon is a High Street makeup brand, and their ColorStay Makeup for Normal/Dry Skin is an excellent choice for those who don’t want to spend a small fortune. The liquid foundation glides, rather than sticks, and comes with very high quality reviews, which is always a good marker. The foundation is available in 14 shades too, which makes it a great all-rounder product.
- #220 Natural Beige
- Demi-matte finish lasts for 24 hours
- Buildable to full coverage
Another easily accessible product is the Maybelline New York Fit Me Dewy and Smooth Foundation , which is available in a huge 24 different shades! This is another budget-worthy foundation which glides onto skin, and is made especially for drier skin types. If you’re wanting something to set your makeup look into place once applied, Glam Essentials Makeup Setting Spray is a great choice. This is designed for dry skin, and helps to hydrate the skin, whilst also setting your look in place – double whammy! The price is a little higher than you might want to pay for a single product, but it is certainly worth it for the quality. The spray is made with totally natural ingredients, which won’t aggravate dry skin conditions.
- Dewy and smooth foundation makeup with spf 18
- Hydrating foundation smoothes skin's texture
- Leaves a naturally luminous finish
- !! SETTING SPRAY SETS MAKE UP AND PROLONGS ITS HOLD effectively while providing an unparalleled sense of freshness!Unlike other setting spray we use plant based ingredients that heals and protects.
- STOP MAKEUP MELTDOWN with this innovative, high profile setting spray. It hydrates your face - giving you a dewy finish and sets make-up perfectly for up to 12 hours!
- SPECIALLY FORMULATED TO NOURISH YOUR SKIN with ingredients like organic Aloe Vera and Glycolic Acid. It works wonders for your skin - like an intravenous infusion of minerals and antioxidants that fight free radicals and give your skin a radiant glow!The Lemon Verbana that gives a lemony natural fragrance that helps to keep makeup lasting all day and minimizes oil
Making sure that you give yourself a good canvas to work with is also very important when applying makeup to dry skin in particular, and Premium Foundation Makeup Primer is a good choice to go for. This product ensures that your foundation stays put all day long, whilst also gliding over dry patches, to ensure your foundation sticks all over, and not just in patches.
- ALL DAY LONG MAKEUP: Waterproof, Unique gel formula adheres to make up creating a long lasting effect and prevents smudging. A thin coat of this foundation primer is all you need to help your foundation look its best and last all day (Up to 8 to 12 hours).
- ENRICHED WITH VITAMINS AND ANTIOXIDANT: Anti-aging formula contains Vitamin A and E known to encourage cell reproduction and has anti-oxidant properties. Use solely as a facial moisturizer for soft skin. Safe to use every day; it won't clog pores which can cause acne.
- REGAIN THAT EYE CATCHING BEAUTY: Light weight and easy to apply. Makes skin feel soft and smooth like silk. Eliminates redness, flakiness, and excess oil that prevent makeup from staying on. Suitable for dry, oily, sensitive, normal and combination skin.
Part of dealing with dry skin isn’t just about the makeup you use, but how you remove it. It’s always important to remove your makeup every evening, and never to go to bed still wearing it, no matter how tempting it may seem! Clarins Cleansing Milk comes with super-positive reviews, and this hydrating formula is designed to remove all makeup, whilst making sure that your skin’s pH balance is restored and maintained.
- Maintains your skin's balance during cleansing
- Gently smoothing away makeup and impurities
- The first step to a beautiful complexion
Dealing with dry skin doesn’t have to be a major headache, provided you choose the right products for your particular skin type, as well as learning a few tips on how to apply makeup using makeup sponges, for example. Remember to drink plenty of water throughout the day to give your skin the drink it is craving, and try a few of the home remedies too.