If you are an oily skin sufferer, you won’t need anyone to tell you that it is annoying with a capital A. You think you are blotting enough, you think you are cleansing enough, and you’re going out of your way to find products that don’t exacerbate the problem, but does all of this work?
If you don’t know the real way to deal with it, no.
Oily skin is characterized by a shiny appearance, the skin looks thick or even coarse in areas, pores are large, and there are regular breakouts of blemishes. This may be all over the face, or it could be in patches, but regardless of the extent, it’s worthwhile trying to figure out how to minimize the problem.
To really get to the bottom of the situation, it’s important to know what causes oily skin in the first place, as well as looking into a few natural methods of minimizing the grease which causes nothing but annoyance in your life. We’re also going to focus on makeup which can be used to hide the shine, and which is strong enough to not slip off your face mid-evening. There are countless products on the market, but knowing which ones are really worth your cash can be difficult – never fear, we’re going to look into the best makeup for oily skin, and give you some recommendations.
What is Oily Skin, And What Causes it?
Oily skin is caused by an overproduction of an oil, namely sebum, and this is produced in the sebaceous glands, which are sited under the surface of the skin. Sebum is, as the idea of this whole situation would suggest, an oily, fatty substance. We need sebum in general life, because it helps to moisturize and look after your skin, whilst also keeping everything healthy, but if you have too much, that is when the issues begin. The appearance of too much oil on your skin is bad enough, but it can work to clog up your pores, which can be a breeding ground for acne to occur.
There are many reasons why someone may product too much sebum in their skin, but as we just mentioned, this is mainly characterized by acne sufferers. On top of this, certain medications can cause a surge in sebum production, as well as genetic predisposition, hormonal changes and issues, and in some cases, even stressful situations in life. It could therefore be a temporary kind of situation in your life, but it could also simply be the type of skin you have.
In that case, finding the best makeup for oily skin is a must do, as well as trying out a few natural methods to minimize the appearance and amount of sebum from the get-go.
What Kind of Makeup is Best For Oily Skin Types?
One size doesn’t fit all here, which is an important point to make, but in terms of the different types of makeup which generally suit oilier skin types, you should be looking towards matte finish foundations (liquid). These are ideal because they are lightweight, so they don’t add extra heaviness to skin which can already appear thickened, and they are easy to blend, without clumping or sticking to particularly oily areas. These types of cosmetics are also the best makeup for oily skin because they can easily cover skin which is prone to the odd blemish or breakout, without it looking ‘too’ much.
On the flip-side, there are certain makeup types that you should avoid like the plague if you have oily skin, these include moisturizing liquid foundations, pressed powder/loose powder, cream to powder compact foundation types, and tinted moisturizers/BB cream.
These all have a tendency to clump or add to the appearance of shine, especially powder cosmetics, which will easily stick and slide, giving a rather unpleasant appearance within a short amount of time. Tinted moisturizer might seem like it is light enough, but it simply won’t give enough coverage for this type of skin, and therefore a matte finish the way forward.
There are countless brands of this type of foundation on the market, and these range from High Street brands which come at a lower cost, to more luxurious, designer brands, which have a higher price tag. Maybelline have a great range of foundations for all skin types, but their New York Fit Me Matte Plus Poreless Foundation Makeup is a best-seller. This is a very low cost option, which makes it affordable for all, and it comes in a huge 40 different shades, so no matter what your shade requirements, you’ll find it!
- Dermatologist and allergy tested liquid formula features micro-powders created to control shine and blur pores
- Fit Me Matte and Poreless Liquid Foundation leaves your skin with a lightweight natural seamless matte finish that is never flat or cakey
- Fit Me Matte + Poreless Liquid Foundation provides a medium coverage for a natural finish that can last all day
Rimmel is another High Street brand that everyone knows and loves, and their Stay Matte Foundation is a great choice for those on a serious budget, with 8 different shades on offer. If you do want to spend a little more on your makeup then there are a few luxury items to go for, including Luminess Air Airbrush Matte Foundation , which despite the slightly higher price tag, has very high reviews and gives you a makeup artist finish to your makeup application.
- STAY MATTE, STOP SHINE This liquid mousse blends flawlessly to even out skin tone and stop shine for hours. With a natural-looking yet photo-ready finish, your face will look practically poreless and baby soft all day long. Prepare for matte perfection.
- OIL FREE LIGHTWEIGHT FORMULA Silky smooth formula leaves a perfectly matte, baby-soft powder finish. Lightweight texture won't feel heavy or greasy and minimizes the appearance of pores. This long-lasting fluid formula conceals imperfections for hours.
- BE YOU Rimmel Natural Bronzer is available in three shades to complement any skin tone. Try with our full line of Rimmel products, including foundation, concealer, eyeliner, contouring kits, eye shadow, mascara, lipstick, lip gloss, blush, & highlighter.
- Dermatologist and ophthalmologist tested, making it ideal for everyday wear
- Light and weightless long-lasting formula that helps you look flawless for up to 18 hours
- Luminess Air Airbrush Matte Foundation is an al- in-one foundation providing medium to full coverage with a shine-free finish to keep your makeup looking flawless all day
Of course, it’s not all about foundation, although that is the most important facet of controlling oily skin, because it gives you the even canvas to begin with. Primer is a good option however, and again, it’s best to go matte. Paula’s Choice SHINE STOPPER Instant Matte Finish Oil Control Primer is a great option to look into.
- LONG LASTING OIL CONTROL--Our SHINE STOPPER minimizes the look of pores and reduces shine by mattifying skin's natural oils using unique MICROSPONGE Technology. Weightless formula dries to a soft, powder-like finish that smoothes out skin imperfections.
- Paula's Choice--SHINE STOPPER Instant Matte Finish Oil Control Primer absorbs your excess oil from your skin for hours. It can be worn alone or under makeup, and should be reapplied in tiny dabs throughout the day to combat midday shine and "melt-off"
- This game-changing oil-absorbong primer works quickly to keep oily shine in check while minimizing the appearance of pores. Dab on after your morning skin care routine with your favorite Paula's Choice cleanser, toner, exfoliant, serums & moisturizer.
Finding the best accessories to apply your makeup is a must do, especially if you want an even and controlled coverage for your foundation, with a makeup sponge is your best bet. You also need to know how to clean your makeup sponges properly, to stop adding to the risk of breakouts, which you should be going out of your way to avoid.
Whatever option you go for, be sure to shop around to find the best deals, and also sample a few before you make your final decision. One size certainly doesn’t fit all, and when it comes to finding the best makeup for oily skin, it’s important to put time and effort into the search.