Every single skin tone on the planet is different, and that means that you need to know exactly how to maximize its effects! Darker skin is fantastic for making bright shades pop, e.g. pink, red, burgundy, basically any shade will be easily handled by a darker skin tone, but unless you know how to find the right products, you run the risk of going the other way, e.g. choosing shades which are too light.
Finding the best shade is all about you identifying the undertones you have, e.g. cool or warm. This will help you find the right shade of foundation for you, as well as bronzer, blush, and the best lipstick shades that will really compliment your skin color. You might think that it is simply about picking a shade and working with it, but if you really want to make the most of your makeup looks, being specific is always the most important part of the whole deal.
How to Identify Your Undertones
This might sound complicated, but bear with us. In order to identify the undertones you have, and therefore to be able to identify the colors and shades of makeup which will suit your darker skin tone, try these exercises:
- What do your veins look like? – Roll up your sleeve and see if your veins or a blue tinge or a green one. If you have a blue, you probably have cool undertones, and if you have green, you have warm ones.
- Do you suit gold or silver better? – When it comes to jewellery, are you a gold or silver kind of girl? If you have cool undertones then silver will pop on you, and if you suit gold, you’re warm toned.
These are just two quick ways to identify which camp you fall into, and from there you can identify the shades which are going to suit you best. It’s a good idea to head to a beauty counter and get a color matching done in this case, because to really make your beautiful skin pop, you need a perfect match. It’s likely that women with darker skin shades have an uneven combination across their face, e.g. darker on the forehead, and lighter in the center, which means that a combination of products may be needed. Again, another reason to get a color matching done.
Other Makeup Types
Bronzers look fantastic on darker skin shades when worn in the right way. Always apply this sparingly, and to your forehead, upper cheekbones, and temples, which will give you a warm look to your makeup application. Of course, darker skin tones can also get away with brighter shades of eye-shadow, so consider the pallet your playground! Bright blue shades look fantastic on darker skin, as well as a jewel-like green. It’s important to avoid frosty shades, e.g. light blues or whites, because these can give your skin a more dry look, when you want to be aiming more towards warmth.
We mentioned lipstick, and again, this is another virtual playground! Darker skin tones can go really bold with lipstick shades, so play around with different eye-shadow and lipstick combinations according to trends.
The Best Makeup For Darker Skin
We’ve talked about the shades you should be looking for and the types of makeup you can wear, but what products are best for you to go for? On top of this, it’s important to know about how to apply your makeup properly, to give you a true run-way look. Makeup sponges are ideal for applying foundation, primer, cream eye-shadows, and other liquid-based cosmetics, so definitely check out some of our makeup sponge reviews, to find the best choice for you.
In terms of foundation, SHANY Cosmetics Professional Cream Foundation and Camouflage Concealer is a great product, because it contains a wide range of different shades within it. This means you can easily give yourself an even coverage, especially if you have an uneven skin tone across your face and forehead. The reviews on this product are very positive, and the price is low too. If of course you would prefer to purchase a one-shade foundation product, then Mommy Makeup Mineral Dual Powder SPF 15 (4 in 1 Pressed Mineral Foundation) is a good option. This is an oil-free product, so it’s great for skin which is a little sensitive or acne-prone to, whilst also being available in several darker skin color shades.
- This essential concealer palette contains total of 15 useful colors for any skin tone
- Used as foundation primer, foundation, concealer, camouflage and eyeshadow base
- High quality ingredients, cream based buttery colors are the best available in their class
- This MINERAL based powder is oil-free, talc-free, fragrance-free and paraben-free making it ideal for sensitive skin. SPF15 protects your face from the sun and environment.
- Adjustable formula is a PRESSED MINERAL foundation and powder in one! It diffuses light with natural reflecting properties found in minerals to create a soft focus finish.
- PUDDIN' (Dark) - For darker complexions. Please watch our videos! Search YouTube for "Mommy Makeup Concealer and Foundation Application Tips"
Darker skin also looks fantastic when contoured, so a high quality contouring kit should be in your makeup armory. Aesthetica are a big named brand in the cosmetics world, and the Aesthetica Cosmetics Cream Contour and Highlighting Makeup Kit is a great choice. This kit is a best seller, and comes with instructions in order to teach you how to be a contouring expert in no time!
- The Aesthetica Cosmetics Cream Contour Kit contains 6 blendable, silky creams that are designed to sculpt, define and highlight your face. Aesthetica puts everything you need to achieve the coveted contour look in one palette.
- Each kit includes easy to follow, step-by-step instructions, face shape diagrams and contour mapping guide so you can contour like a pro, every time! Packaged in a sleek, travel-friendly mirrored palette. Great for everyday use or for special occasions. Each cream is highly pigmented with incredible payoff. Designed to gradually build up your contour and highlight for a flawless, airbrushed effect.
Darker skin tones can certainly wear bronzer, and Sheer Miracle Premium Mineral Makeup Bronzer is a top choice. The lightweight feel of the product is ideal for creating those warm glows, and it sits on top of foundation weightlessly, without sinking in or causing dry/flaky patches.
- Beautiful! I love this Mineral Bronzer. It mixes so nicely with my foundation (a little goes a long way) and gives me a beautiful "I've been in the sun" look for my face, and also works perfectly if just used to dust the hairline on my forehead, cheeks, jawline or chin with a sun kissed look. During the summer since my arms and legs get a bit more darker from the summer sun and it blends nicely to balance the color in my face to match. I'm a happy girl! - Elizabeth W
- Best service ever! I love the foundation because of it's easy coverage and non toxic ingredients and to have the high level of customer service means I will continue to purchase my skin care from sheer miracle. I made a mistake in my order and emailed immediately to ask for help. Before I could recheck my account, they had fixed my error and I didn't have to do anything else. What a relief working with such customer oriented professionals! -Sonja D
Overall, darker skin tones are certainly not at all difficult to dress in terms of makeup, in fact if you have a dark skin tone, you have a huge range of makeup looks in front of you to master. The brighter colors look fantastic on these skin tones, so be sure to play around with eye-shadows and lipsticks, to create the most fashionable and dramatic looks. Learning how to identify the actual shade of foundation, or foundations, you need is probably the hardest part, but by speaking to a cosmetic desk within a large department store, you can find the color match which will really suit you, whether you need to combine two shades, or just stick with one. On top of this, contouring really is your friend, and you can learn to recreate the most challenging looks with ease, after a little practice makes perfect!