If you suffer from acne, your skin is prone to acne breakouts, or you have existing acne scars, it can be difficult to find the right makeup products for you. Your skin is difficult to characterize, because it is likely to be a combination of dry, oily, and sensitive! For that reason, finding the right products which don’t further irritation your skin, whilst also covering up any existing scars, is important.
Acne is caused by blocked hair follicles, hormonal issues, genetics, puberty, an excessive production of sebum in the skin, and can either be present during the teenage years and then disappear, or it can be present throughout life. Basically, if you have it, you will know about it, and if you have never had it, then you’re lucky!
Acne can be dormant for a long time, and then flare up, and during those flare ups it’s important to keep skin as clean as possible, as well as any cosmetic tools you use, such as cleaning brushes and sponges properly. Knowing how to cleanse your skin properly, using the right products is vital, but it may also be that you are prescribed medicated cleansers by your doctor. If you are unsure, it’s always best to have a chat with your healthcare professional.
In order to stop acne becoming a huge issue in your life, you can follow some general advice however:
- Always use products which is specifically for acne, e.g. cleansers. The main ingredient you’re looking for here is salicyclic acid or benzoyl peroxide. These are both known to help clear up acne problems during active breakouts
- When washing your face, be careful not to rub, and don’t use a face cloth which is abrasive
- Use an oil-free moisturiser, as these are known to be kinder to acne-prone skin
- Use an oil-free foundation too, and avoid those which are heavy. We will go through a few of the best makeup for acne/acne prone/acne scars shortly, but overall, anything which is heavy will simply block up the pores even more, and cause a flare up
- Avoid the temptation to pick any at acne sores, as this is going to cause a scar and further infection
- Don’t bother with exfoliating. Most of us are told to exfoliate, but in the case of skin which is acne-prone, this is a big no no.
- Consider changing your diet slightly. There is some evidence to suggest that reducing your dairy intake could help with the possibility of an acne breakout. Have a trial of a week or two where you reduce your intake and see if you notice a difference in your skin condition.
Of course, the biggest help is always going to be choosing your makeup products with care and with advice, so let’s check out some of the best makeup for acne/acne prone/acne scars.
Best Makeup for Acne Prone Skin
Most of the big named makeup brands have realised that creating an acne friendly product is a good idea. Neutrogena is one of the biggest names on the block, and this is also a name which is synonymous with skin care. The Neutrogena Skinclearing Makeup product comes with very highly regarded reviews, and the cost of the product is also low. There are 14 colours on offer, and the foundation is infused with acne medicated ingredients, which allow your skin to breathe. The Micro-Clear technology also helps to unclog your pores as you wear it. This is also a big named brand, so that should give you some peace of mind from the get-go.
- Liquid foundation with acne medicine
- Natural, breathable coverage for acne-prone skin
- Controls shine and helps treat and prevent acne breakouts
Another good option is the e.l.f. Acne Fighting Foundation , which is certainly kind on the bank balance, as well as the skin! With just 6 shades available, this is less than some other brands, but overall this is a great acne-dedicated product, which is designed to fight acne whilst wearing the foundation, as well as evening up skin tone, and hiding any redness which might be present. For a slightly higher priced product, with very high reviews, Liquid Foundation Mineral Makeup is a very good choice. Available in 9 shades, this product features totally naturally ingredients, which are organic, vegan-friendly, gluten and cruelty-free, which also having anti-aging features too. The foundation is designed with acne-prone skin in mind, which gives you extra confidence again, and doesn’t clog pores.
- Disguise redness, blemishes and uneven skintone
- Flawless coverage foundation
- Infused with acne fighting key ingredients
- 30 DAYS MONEY BACK GUARANTEE - Bad Liquid Foundation, Broken Bottle, Faulty pump? Let us know and we will send you a replacement at NO cost to you. OR if you just don't like it for whatever reason, we'll refund you every penny & NO need to return it back to Amazon.
- CONFUSED WHICH SHADE - Have a look at the image with all the shade descritions. Shades available are ivory, fair, light, neutral warm, medium, tan, deep.
- ALL NATURAL, ORGANIC, VEGAN, CRUELTY & GLUTEN FREE, NON GMO & NO PALM - Foundations with natural sunscreen spf with full coverage dewy results for any age, from fair, light, dark shades. great for women with dry, acne prone, sensitive, aging skin.
Dermablend is another big named brand, and the Blurring Mouse Foundation Makeup with SPF is a great oil-free choice for acne-prone skin. With 11 colours on offer, this product is middle of the road in terms of cost, but comes with very promising reviews. The ingredients are fragrance and oil free, non-comedogenic, allergy-tested, and hypoallergenic, whilst also being a lightweight product for your skin. The medium to full coverage is also ideal for covering over any existing scars or any redness from recent flare ups.
- Oil free foundation makeup with SPF 33
- Makeup foundation that is dermatologist tested, allergy tested, non-comedogenic, hypoallergenic, fragrance free, sensitive skin tested
- Medium to full coverage foundation to cover acne scar, redness and other skin concerns
In terms of how to take your makeup off with acne-prone skin, there are many products to choose from. InstaNatural Vitamin C Facial Cleanser is a great choice, and one which is very highly recommended. This is a best seller for a reason, and it is designed with totally natural ingredients, helping to soothe inflamed or irritated skin.
- EXTREME ANTIOXIDANT BENEFITS - With potent antioxidants like Vitamin C, and natural Organic Aloe, this cleanser works for both men and women to rejuvenate and refine the skin. All skin types will see the nourishing benefits of brilliant skin with this professional-grade formula.
- BLEMISH DEFENSE - Our Vitamin C Cleanser helps clear and reduce pores, breakouts, and skin blemishes. The ingredients in this cleanser help to wash away dulling skin cells, fade the appearance of sun spots, discoloration, and free radical damage that comes from prolonged sun exposure.
- BRIGHTENING ACTION FOR BALANCED COMPLEXION - Penetrating deep to keep the skin hydrated by using a combination of soothing oils and moisturizers to leave the face with a boost of hydration and a clean feel.
There’s no denying that acne-prone skin is a difficult condition to conquer, but if you can choose the right products, whilst also learning how to manage the issue, then you are on the right track from the start. Simply remember to avoid any products which are heavy for your skin, as this is simply going to clog up your pores even more, helping acne to run riot. Lightweight products are always best, and always remember to clean your brushes and sponges regularly, whilst also replacing products when they reach their shelf life. If you’re not sure of the actual life of a product, make sure you do your research ahead of time, to avoid any potential infections or break outs, due to bacteria growing within the product itself.